If you are buying a second-hand car, knowing the level of DPF's wear can be helpful. Fortunately, several ways allow us to detect that. Sometimes a regeneration cycle can save a DPF, but most of the time it won't. In such situations, replacement is unavoidable.
Five signs should alert you to possible wear on your car's Diesel Particulate Filter:
• A follow- inspection of the technical control for excessive pollution, which may mean that the DPF no longer performs correctly and that retains insufficiently fine particles;
• The lighting of the engine warning light dedicated to the DPF: this means an anomaly, but not necessarily a breakage. It is better to seek the advice of a professional before carrying out a cycle of regeneration of the DPF;
• Engine degraded mode: the vehicle can drive correctly but only at reduced speed. This can cause significant mechanical breakage;
• Power losses: more or less pronounced...;
• Motor jerking: jerks in acceleration, unstable idling... This is not exclusively the sign of a tired DPF, however. If your car shows one or more signs, it is better to seek advice from a car mechanic. Sometimes, a simple scrub can be sufficient, but this is not always the case.
Do you want to know if your Catalytic Converter is Bad ? Do you want to know if your DPF is clogged ?
Over time, the DPF wears out. Regeneration cycles are absolutely essential as they intended to burn off the collected fine particles. Without them, the DPF would clog very quickly. Therefore, it is very essential to occasionally make long journeys, of at least thirty minutes, on a road or a highway, in order to trigger a cycle. In most cases, this operation will be enough to turn off the anti-pollution light. For this reason, Diesel vehicles are unsuitable for urban use which prematurely damages the DPF, because only when the car is started and during the first kilometer that a maximum of fine particles are emitted.
When the DPF's regeneration cycles are no longer sufficient, then fouling is unavoidable and this can lead to its permanent breakage.Therefore, It is better not to wait too long and seek the advice of a mechanic. Here are some tips for choosing your DPF.There are many references and not all low-priced DPF are designed equal. And for or the catalytic converter-factory price, Do you know how to recognize wearing ?